What Is a Tang Fastener and How Does It Work?
When it comes to securing two or more materials, fasteners play a significant role in holding everything together. Given the variety of fasteners available in the market, it becomes challenging to pick the right one for a specific application. This article focuses on tang fasteners, their applications, and working principle.
What Are Tang Fasteners?
Tang fasteners are mechanical fasteners that consist of a shank and a small tang protruding from one end. They come in various shapes and sizes, such as round, oval, and rectangular. Tang fasteners are typically made of steel, iron, or brass, making them strong and durable.
How Do Tang Fasteners Work?
Tang fasteners work by inserting the shank into one material and bending the tang over the other. This creates a permanent clamp between the two materials, holding them tightly together. The tang's bend not only provides a secure grip but also prevents the fastener from slipping or coming loose over time.
Applications of Tang Fasteners
Tang fasteners find many applications in various industries, including automotive, construction, and furniture manufacturing. Some common applications include:
1. Attaching upholstery – Tang fasteners are commonly used in furniture manufacturing to attach upholstery to the frame. The tangs penetrate the fabric material and secure it to the frame, providing a sturdy hold.
2. Joining two metal sheets – Tang fasteners are popular in the automotive industry for joining two metal sheets together. The process of joining metal sheets with tang fasteners is cost-effective and easy to use.
3. Holding down roofing material – Tang fasteners are used in the construction industry for holding down roofing material. The tang is bent over the roofing material, keeping it secure and preventing it from lifting.
4. Securing insulation – Tang fasteners are used in the installation of insulation. The fastener clamps the insulation to the wall, ceiling or floor, preventing it from moving, and maintaining the desired thickness.
5. Mounting electrical equipment – Tang fasteners are used to mount electrical equipment, such as junction boxes or conduit, to walls or ceilings. The fastener's unique design makes it easy to install and eliminates the need for additional hardware like screws or bolts.
Advantages of Tang Fasteners
Tang fasteners offer several advantages over other types of fasteners, including:
1. High strength – Tang fasteners are strong and can withstand significant pressure without breaking or loosening.
2. Versatility – Tang fasteners can be used on various materials such as metal, plastic, and fabric.
3. Easy to use – The installation process is simple and quick, making tang fasteners suitable for quick assembly projects.
4. Cost-effective – Tang fasteners are relatively inexpensive when compared to other types of fasteners, making them a popular choice in many applications.
Tang fasteners are a valuable mechanical fastener, providing a reliable and permanent hold for materials in various applications. They offer several benefits over other types of fasteners, making them a popular choice for fabricators, builders, and manufacturers. Understanding the basics of tang fasteners can help you make an informed decision when choosing the right fastener for your project..