Cortex Hidden Fastening System: The Best Way to Install Decking Boards
Decking boards are an exciting addition to any garden or outdoor space. Not only do they provide a functional platform for outdoor activities, but they can also add an aesthetic charm to the surroundings. However, installing decking boards can be a tricky affair, particularly if you're looking to achieve a seamless, screw-free finish. Fortunately, with the Cortex Hidden Fastening System, the installation process is a breeze. In this article, we'll delve into the details of using the Cortex Hidden Fastening System, including its benefits, installation process, and common FAQs.
Benefits of the Cortex Hidden Fastening System
The Cortex Hidden Fastening System comprises of a range of individually-sized, color-coordinated screws and plugs designed to create a perfect, concealed finish. Here are some of the benefits of using the system:
1. Aesthetically pleasing finish: The Cortex Hidden Fastening System creates a seamless, uniform appearance, with no visible hardware on the surface of the deck.
2. Strength and stability: The fastening system ensures the boards are firmly attached to the joists, reducing the risk of squeaky or loose boards.
3. Ease of installation: The Cortex screws are easy to install, requiring no pre-drilling, and can be fixed using a standard drill. Additionally, the color-coordinated plugs snap into place, making the installation process fast and straightforward.
4. Durability: The fasteners are made from high-quality stainless steel, ensuring they can withstand the elements and last for years.
5. Compatibility: The Cortex Hidden Fastening System can be used with a variety of decking materials, including composite, PVC, and wood.
Here's how to use the Cortex Hidden Fastening System to install your decking boards:
Step 1: Prepare your deck surface by ensuring it's level, clean, and free from debris.
Step 2: Lay your first decking board in place, ensuring it's flush to the edge of the joist.
Step 3: Secure the board in place with one Cortex screw on each joist, using a standard drill. Ensure you drive the screw in far enough to pull the board tightly to the joist.
Step 4: Continue to install boards using the same process, maintaining equal gaps between the boards.
Step 5: Once all the boards are in place, use the Cortex plugs to cover the screws. Choose plugs that match the color of your decking boards, and tap them into place using a hammer or the Cortex setting tool.
Step 6: Enjoy your new, seamless decking surface.
Here are some common questions and answers about using the Cortex Hidden Fastening System:
1. Can I use the system with grooved or slotted decking boards?
Yes, the Cortex Hidden Fastening System can be used with grooved or slotted boards, provided they meet the system's specifications.
2. What length screws should I use?
Choose the length of the screws based on the thickness of your decking board and the thickness of the underlying joists.
3. Can I use the Cortex screws for framing members or rails?
No, the Cortex screws are not designed for framing members or rails.
4. How many screws do I need for each board?
Use one screw for each joist, approximately 1 inch from the edge of the board.
5. Will the plugs match the color of my decking boards?
Yes, the Cortex plugs are designed to match the color of your decking boards. You can choose from a range of colors to achieve a seamless finish.
The Cortex Hidden Fastening System is a cost-effective, easy-to-use solution for installing decking boards with a seamless, screw-free finish. By following the steps outlined above, you can achieve a professional-looking deck surface that adds beauty and value to your outdoor space. So go ahead and give the Cortex Hidden Fastening System a try – you won't be disappointed..