A plastic snap fastener kit is a great addition to your sewing kit. It allows you to add snap fasteners to clothes, baby diapers, bags, or any other fabric goods that need a closure system. The process of attaching snaps can seem intimidating, but with the right tools and some practice, it can be very easy. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about using a plastic snap fastener kit, including how to choose the right kit, how to install snaps, and some tips and tricks to help you get the perfect snap.
1. Choose the Right Snap Fastener Kit
The first step in using a plastic snap fastener kit is to choose the right kit. A good kit comes with all the necessary components to install snaps, including the snap bases, caps, and prongs. Make sure the kit you choose includes the size and color of snaps you need.
2. Prepare the Fabric
Before you can attach snaps to your fabric, you need to prepare the fabric. Cut out the section of fabric where you want to attach the snaps. Then, fold the fabric in half where the snaps will go, and mark the spot where the snap will be installed.
3. Install the Snap Base
The next step is to install the snap base. Place the base on the marked spot on your fabric, and use the snap fastener tool to punch a hole through the fabric. Then, insert the snap base through the hole, with the prongs facing up. Use the pliers to bend the prongs down to secure the snap base in place.
4. Attach the Cap
Once the base is installed, it's time to attach the cap. Place the cap on top of the snap base, making sure the prongs of the cap line up with the prongs of the base. Use the snap fastener tool to punch a hole through the fabric and the cap. Then, insert the cap prongs through the fabric and snap base prongs. Finally, use the pliers to bend the cap prongs down to secure the cap in place.
5. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Snaps
To achieve perfect snaps every time, here are some tips and tricks:
- Use the right size snap for your fabric. If you're working with thicker fabric, use a larger size snap to ensure it holds securely.
- Use a hole punch to make clean holes in your fabric.
- Make sure your fabric is secure in the pliers before you squeeze it. This will prevent your fabric from slipping or moving, which can lead to uneven snaps or misaligned holes.
- Practice on scrap fabric first to get a feel for how the snap fastener tool works.
- Always double-check that the cap and base prongs line up before you squeeze the pliers.
Using a plastic snap fastener kit is an easy and convenient way to add snap closures to your fabric projects. With the right kit and some practice, you can achieve perfect snaps every time. Remember to choose the right kit, prepare your fabric, install the snap base, attach the cap, and use the tips and tricks we've discussed. Happy snapping!.