If you are planning to build a deck using Trex composite decking, you must be wondering how many Trex fasteners you need for your project. Trex is a popular decking material that is durable, low maintenance, and eco-friendly. The company offers a range of fasteners that are designed to work with their decking boards, ensuring a secure and seamless installation. In this article, we will guide you on how to calculate the number of Trex fasteners required for your deck, so that your project is completed efficiently and effectively.
Understanding the Types of Trex Fasteners
Trex offers various types of fasteners for their decking boards, and the type you choose will depend on the style and installation method of your deck. The following are the most common types of Trex fasteners available:
1. Trex Hideaway Hidden Fasteners: These are a popular choice as they are designed to be hidden from view, giving your deck a seamless look. They are installed in a groove on the side of the decking board and come with a pre-set stainless steel screw for consistent installation, ensuring no movement or creaking of the board.
2. Trex Hideaway Secret Fixing System: This is also a hidden fastener system that offers a screw-free finish. The system works by securing the decking to the joists with a biscuit and screw, ensuring a snug fit and preventing board movement.
3. Trex Cortex Hidden Fastening System: This system uses a deck screw and plug system to attach the deck boards to the framing. The plugs are made from Trex board material, and the system is designed to create a seamless and secure finish.
Calculating the Number of Trex Fasteners
To calculate the number of Trex fasteners you need, you will first need to measure the length and width of your deck in feet. Once you have these measurements, you can use the following formula to calculate the number of fasteners required:
(Number of Deck Boards x Length of Deck Board) / Spacing between Fasteners = Number of Fasteners Required
For example, if your deck is 20 feet long by 10 feet wide and you are using 12-foot long Trex decking boards with a 1/4 inch spacing between fasteners, the calculation would be:
(20 x 10 x 1) / 0.25 = 800 Fasteners Required
This calculation assumes that you are using the maximum 1/4 inch spacing between fasteners, but you can adjust this spacing up or down depending on your preference. You may also want to add a few extra fasteners to your order in case of any unforeseen circumstances during installation.
Tips for Installing Trex Fasteners
1. Use the Correct Installation Method: Trex offers various installation methods for their fasteners, and it is essential to choose the right method for your specific deck design. The Trex website offers comprehensive installation guides and videos to help you choose the right method.
2. Pre-Drill the Holes: When installing Trex fasteners, it is recommended that you pre-drill the holes to prevent wood splitting or damage to the fastener. The Trex website provides guidelines on the appropriate drill bit sizes for different types of fasteners.
3. Use a Leveling Tool: To ensure a level installation, use a leveling tool to check that the boards are even before attaching the fasteners.
4. Incorporate Expansion Gaps: Trex decking boards will expand and contract with changes in temperature, so it is essential to incorporate expansion gaps between the boards as recommended by the manufacturer.
5. Follow the Manufacturer's Guidelines: Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines when installing Trex fasteners, as incorrect installation can cause damage to your deck and result in unnecessary expenses.
Knowing how many Trex fasteners you need for your deck project is essential to ensure a seamless and secure installation. Careful measurement and calculation, along with following the manufacturer's guidelines, will help you complete your project efficiently and effectively. With the range of Trex fasteners available, it is easy to find a system that suits your deck style and design, ensuring a finished look that you can be proud of for years to come..